Wednesday, December 5, 2007

BOSE HEADPHONES

It was only a few days ago that we reviewed the Genius Noise Cancellation headphones, and waxed eloquent on opportunities for cheap makes in the market. What we have here now is the baap of them all, perched on the opposite end of the spectrum. Bose's Quiet Comfort series is the epitome of luxury with (alas) not much value for money. The new Quiet Comfort 3, however, shows some promise – but comes with a steep bill as expected.

In the QC 3 you will instantly see Bose's desire to make a more compact headgear while improving on their erstwhile inadequate attempt at noise canceling. These headphones are small, and are bundled with two proprietary rechargeable batteries which fit into the top of the right headphone can. And they do enable a whole new experience in noise reduction.

This time around, the QC 3 headphones come with an 'on-the-ear' design, and although we're not big fans of this form factor, we must admit that this one is surprisingly comfortable, mainly due to the soft foam pad covered by some material that reminds one of leather. The urge to take them off after 45 minutes is missing in the QC 3. Your ears don't feel as if they have just returned from battle, though they are a little hot due to the material of the exterior pad.

We'd have preferred disposable AAA batteries; but the QC 3 comes with proprietary batteries, which means you have to carry the charging kit wherever you go. If your batteries go dead while you are on a long journey, you've had it!


We didn't like the fact that the pair deploys only active noise cancellation. This means that you need to keep noise cancellation switched on at all times if you have to listen to music. So keep them charged before you set out.

To supplement a good musical experience, the 'big box' (literally) comes with an assortment of different charging plugs, a carry bag that can accommodate the extra battery, among other things. A gold-plated 3.5mm to 5.5mm converter is also bundled.

8 comments:

Ron said...

Think twice about Bose headphones. Not only is the initial price pretty steep, replace parts are even worst. The ear pads and head pad on my set started to disintegrate. They literally started crumbing, leaving rubbery specks and particles on my ears, head and clothing.

Replacement ear pads and head pads are $43.00 plus shipping. Pretty expensive for foam rubber and plastic coating that doesn't last.

An email inquiry never received a reply other than and automatic thank you and we'll get back to you.

Replace these pads a couple of times and you're looking at $400+ headphone. Think twice, you can do better than Bose.

Unknown said...

I'm having exactly the same problem described by Ron - crumbling pads, black bits everywhere - really annoying!!!.

It's a smart bit of marketing by Bose, the thing you least expect to deteriorate, and costs a small fortune to replace. I had the same problem with a pair of noise cancellation headphones from Sennheiser, so Bose are not alone in this poor quality control.

Now where do I find replacement phone pads?

Unknown said...

I'm having exactly the same problem described by Ron. It's a smart bit of marketing by Bose, the thing you least expect to deteriorate, and costs a small fortune to replace. I had the same problem with a pair of noise cancellation headphones from Sennheiser, so Bose are not alone in this poor quality control.

Now where do I find replacement phone pads?

Unknown said...

I'm going through the same thing. I have the QC1 model and they broke within 6 months (this was years ago) and bose replace them under warranty. I stopped traveling for a while and put them aside in a climate controlled enviroment. Guess what the ear pads are now sticky and crumbling. This is just plan poor quality. Three hundred for a set of earphones that don't last. It is my understanding that they don't sell the replacement pads for the QC1 anymore but you can do an upgrade for another $100, wow what a deal, four hundred for a set of earphones that are not designed to last. Al least with the QC2 phones you can purchase after market earpads. Perhaps bose should listent to this people know of your poor quality and are now making a living off of it selling these.

Ricardo Sarmiento said...

I bought a Bose Around-ear headphones for about Us$ 230 at a local store here in Colombia, South America, when I was removing them it snapped at the cup holder, this is a very inexpensive-looking part, so I called Bose and they told me that there is no replacement part for that, and that I would have to buy a new set. hah, yeah, sure I will...

Unknown said...

I was listen music online with my headphone when I saw beautiful houses in a webside, so I understood costa rica investment opportunities is a great opportunity for me because I always wanted to live in Costa Rica a beautiful country.

Unknown said...

Same problem here. This is my first and LAST pair of Bose anything. Real joke. Replaced with a $29.99 pair from Target. Sound quality nearly as good and I can get ear pads for $4.00. Can't express my dissatisfaction strongly enough here or use the language I'd like too.

Anonymous said...

Bose has done improvements on the Noise canceling technology and its incredible.found good review on audio solutions sydney.